It’s almost two years since I started writing about beauty here on Strand On Beauty. I didn’t plan to set the world on fire and, before anyone else says it, it’s true to say that I haven’t but that doesn’t mean to say that I haven’t made any impact at all.
When I started out I didn’t even know that beauty bloggers existed and only used my Twitter account to follow the news and the odd celebrity. As a woman in my late fifties with no experience in writing or the beauty world I could never have imagined that anyone outside of a few close friends would be the least bit interested in anything I had to say.
Two years on I’ve got a decent following across social media, get invited to events most weeks, have worked with a heap of brands and get enough blogger mail to keep my postman very busy. I guess I must be doing something right.
I’d like to ask you to vote for me in the fashion and beauty category of the UKBA awards in spite of the fact that:
- my photos will never be the best – my budget won’t stretch to any photographic equipment. My camera is an old Samsung phone with a smashed screen and if the sun isn’t shining through my window I can’t take photos at all.
- my make-up of the day pics will never be as fresh as the likes of Tanya Burr or Zoella when I have a 59 year old canvas to work with
- I can’t advise you on skin care or tell you how to do the latest make-up look I’ve had not training so would never presume to take on that role
- my blog will never look like a spread from Vogue, I figure that if that’s what you’re looking for you’ll be looking elsewhere
What I do offer is:
- a happy friendly place to share my thoughts and experiences
- a bit of a chat about how my week has gone and what I’ve done
- some news on new launches and what I’ve found out about various brands and products
- a way of writing that’s a bit like a chat with your best friend or a work colleague; and
- a bit of photographic evidence
If you’ve read this far I’d like to thank you for engaging with me and my little corner of the internet. If you’d like to vote for me then that would be great and I’d be truly grateful. It would be lovely to think that there are one or two people that get me and why I write my blog. I may be a fool to have entered but I just thought of the old “you have to be in it to win it” phrase and thought why the hell not!
You will have the opportunity to vote for Strand On Beauty from Monday 4th January 2016 until Monday 25th January 2016 at 9pm here
Have a Happy New Year everyone!