Ark Skincare’s philosophy is that you can have beautiful skin at every age. They’ve devised product ranges that empower users to celebrate the age they are and make it easier to navigate selecting the products you buy by age and by benefit.
They’re an award winning British brand that isn’t new to me – I’ve been using ARK products since 2014 – but I’ve been trying out some products that are new to me and revisiting others to bring you an overview of the brand.
The ARK Skincare range has three distinct age-related ranges:
These ranges are supported by Skin Perfectors which are targeted treatment products to treat specific skin concerns and Skin Essentials that are every day products suitable for all ages. Starting with products designed for your age you can build a tailored programme of skincare that’s bespoke to you.
Recently I’d been trialling products which were a mix from the Age Defy and Skin Essential range. Then I had the opportunity to meet with the people from ARK and talk through my personal preferences for product types and how they suit my skin. I selected products from the Defend and Skin Perfectors ranges to make my own “prescription”.
So, that meant that I had first tried the following together:
- Skin Essential Pre-Cleanse & Make Up Remover
- Age Defy Brightening Cleanser
- Age Defy Nourishing Moisturiser
- Skin Essential Skin Protector SPF30 Primer
The first step in a double cleansing routine this is a multi-fruit lipid blend with Omegas 3, 6 & 9 and designed to dissolve daily grime, excess sebum and make-up while nourishing and soothing skin. Ingredients include:
- Grape seed, Avocado and Kiwi Oil to nourish and protect
- Margosa Leaf Extract to destroy bacteria and inhibit its growth on the skin
- Zi Cao to soothe sensitive skin
Apply it to dry skin massaging in gently before adding water to form an emulsion and then rinse off with warm water.
So for the second cleanse I used what ARK say is the best cleanser for your 50s onwards. This is a rich creamy cleanser that effectively removes debris and impurities and treats the skin to a combination of vitamins, antioxidants and lipids. This is designed to brighten and soften skin and to plump wrinkles. Ingredients include:
- Linoleic Acid from Apricot Oil to boost moisture
- Red Algae and Vitamin C to brighten and reduce the looks of age spots and pigmentation
- Blackcurrant and Starflower lipids containing Omega 3 and 6: to boost hydration to and reduce any inflammation
This one’s to use morning and evening. You apply it to dampened face and neck and massage it in. Remove it with a flannel or muslin soaked in warm water.
Designed to use alongside the Age Defy Brightening Cleanser this is a powerful moisturiser to combat signs of hormone loss such as dullness, dryness, uneven tone and loss of elasticity and promote healthier, firmer and more flexible skin. Ingredients include:
- Red Clover for its high phytohormone content to soothe inflammation
- Hyaluronic Acid to plump skin and reduce the look of lines and wrinkles
- Blackcurrant and Borage Seed Oil to nourish
Again this is for morning and evening use. This suited me perfectly and I used it to the end – it’ll be appearing on my empties list sometime soon.
A firm favourite of mine and a great multi tasker this gives you primer, sunscreen and moisturiser in one. When you need to hit the ground running making sure your skin is nourished protected and looking great this is the one! It has broad spectrum defence against UVA and UVB rays to prevent sun damage and premature ageing, and an advanced active antioxidant system to protect against the effects of pollutants. Key actives are:
- Vitamin E as an antioxidant and for photo protection
- Shea Butter to nourish and protect from free radicals
- Sunflower p- cked with vitamins and minerals
Use it directly on cleansed skin or after moisturiser. Perfect!
Then with the help of the team at the ARK store in Haslemere I picked up:
- Age Defend Conditioning Cleanser
- Skin Perfector Destress Serum
- Skin Perfector Hydration Injection Masque
So these three items were things that I was intrigued to try and weren’t specifically aimed at my age range. I’ve been using them now for a few weeks so I can give you an idea of how the worked for me.
The Age Defend Conditioning Cleanser is specially formulated for skin aged thirty to fifty to effortlessly remove make-up and impurities to leave you with a refreshed, clear complexion.
It has a nourishing formula with:
- blue lotus to increase firmness and protect against ageing
- moringa oil to promote skin’s natural exfoliation process and eliminate excess sebum
- kiwi and passion fruit to deliver omega 3 fatty acids to replenish moisture, soothe redness and prevent inflammation
I prefer to use a balm for my first cleanse to remove make-up and the use a gel type cleanser for my second cleanse. This fits the bill for me as whilst it leaves my skin feeling really clean it doesn’t strip it back to much to make it feel dry.
The Skin Perfector Destress Serum is designed to preserves your skin’s vitality while reducing irritation and redness. It’s an intense antioxidant-rich serum to protect from free radicals and to diminish the look of fatigue caused by environmental and lifestyle stresses. (This is definitely what I need living in London and travelling into Westminster everyday.) The serum acts like a second skin defending against daily stress and boosting the healing process for existing damage. Ingredients include:
- Rosmarinic Acid from Lemon Balm
- Flavonoid Rutin
- Trace elements Manganese, Zinc and Selenium
- Chamomile to soothe irritated skin
- Vitamin E and Grapeseed Oil to boost moisture levels.
This bottle is almost done so I’ll be thinking about what will replace this in my routine or repurchasing.
One of the reasons that this is a great treatment product for me is that you can leave it on over night. I’m a bit lazy really with using treatments. I’m happy to do my three step cleanse and two step moisturise at night but fitting a treatment that I need to leave on a while and then remove hardly ever happens. The Skin Perfector Hydration Injection Masque is an intensely vitamin-packed and instantly hydrates to plump wrinkles and restore radiance. Ingredients include:
- Hyaluronic Acid to saturate skin with moisture and provide 24-hour protection against moisture loss.
- Vitamin A to regulate collagen synthesis
- Vitamin B5 for smoothness
- Vitamin C to brighten and fade hyper pigmentation (gotta love Vitamin C!
- Vitamin E to prevent photo damage
- Sugar Beet and Abyssinian Oil to nourish and calm irritated skin
So, I’ve found even more ARK products that I love and proved the point that it’s okay to explore products that aren’t designed for your skin age. ARK do give you a really good place to start from though!
Also – if you’re thinking of trying out some ARK products or want to gift some over the festive season then there are some beautiful sets to get you started here.